Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Trip to Western Honshu and Shikoku, Japan in October 2019 (Osaka to Tottori-Day 1)

There is a delay in writing this, as I was busy with other stuffs, and also procrastinating a bit here and there. I think it is the time to write my trip, for my personal record and references, or future memories recalling....whatever it is....it is part of my journey in this world...

This trip came out of sudden after the pilgrimage trip cancellation to Varanasi India. And I managed to arrange this whole trip, from ticket booking to itinerary arrangement and finally to hotel and accommodation arrangement, and not forgetting on the transportation arrangement (JR pass).

Initially, I was having a lot of question marks, where to begin my journey, to kick off the traveling this time around, Osaka to Shikoku first, and if Shikoku, which city to begin with, Takamatsu or Matsuyama? Or Osaka to Tottori first, and there were a lot reading, data research in internet and google maps (I think I used this apps plenty of time). And finally, after reading all relevant information and considering the routes based on JR railway tracks (cause I was using JR pass which I booked using Klook, which is really cheaper compared to issuing ticket directly from JR Railway, Japan. Note: I used this method, that was with purchasing my ticket directly from JR Railway Japan for my trip to Hokkaido, and I ended up paying more money for the ticket and courier service charge, but buying directly from Klook helped me to save more than 10%).

Since I was booking my flight quite on the last minute, tickets are not cheap, and hence I have to use Cathay Pacific as it was still reasonably price, hence I need to transit at HK airport. And the departure time from HK to Osaka was at 1.50am, with a total flight journey to Kansai airport that was lesser than 4 hours. For a record, luckily, I slept almost throughout this flight sector, as I was very tired, and everything went quite smooth. After immigration and custom clearance, then I went to claim my JR pass at Kansai JR office. I spent close to 1hour plus to get my JR pass as the queue was quite long.
And since my journey was to Tottori, I have to first take my JR train to Osaka station, then arrange my ticket to Tottori Station. And luckily too, I got all my tickets for Western Honshu trips all booked, from Tottori to Matsue, Matsue to Hagi, Hagi to SHimonoseki and from Shimonoseki to Takamatsure all booked at Osaka main station.
    
First ray of sunlight, on the sky of Kansai airport


And it was very lucky for me that from Osaka Station, I managed to secure my train ticket directly arriving to Tottori station without the need to change or transit at any other station. So my first Journey started, on the first day. The journey took more than 2 hours, and once arrived, I first stopped at the tourist information counter, to ask for some information, like to Tottori Sand Dunes, Hakuto beach, Tottori Castle and Kurayoshi.
The hotel I booked for this city, that was Hotel Monarque Tottori was quite nice. It was like 600m away from Tottori Station.
                                                  JR train, from Osaka Station to Tottori Station.
The train from Osaka station to Tottori was an older train but very comfortable and with free WIFI.

my first bottle of green tea for this trip and I had some simple lunch in the train itself.


The first impression upon arrival at Tottori station, on the way walking towards Hotel Monarque.

The bus station to board the bus to Tottori Sand Dunes, and it is just in front of Tottori JR station. It is like 20 minutes ride from Tottori station and we need to pay JY 320 per way for the bus ride.

The bus stop at Tottori Sand Dunes, just opposite the entrance of the Dunes.
Part of the view of the Sand Dunes, entrance is free of charge.



I walked around the Sand Dunes, and spent close to 1.5 hours here. And please make sure that you have the bus time table to go back to Tottori city, otherwise you need to take a taxi. Tottori sand dunes is interesting to visit, but the size of the dunes is smaller than what I imagined (from the documentary I saw at NHK international). And since I was very tired on the first evening here (only managed a 3 hours sleep on the midnite flight), I went back to the city, walked around a bit and bought my dinner at Daimaru's food market and then went back to the hotel. The sky was getting darker as I left the Sand Dunes. I had an early rest after my meal... and when I woke up. it was the next itinerary, which I will write in the following page.


Getting ready for the trip on day 2

Choong
Day 1, Osaka to Tottori, Tottori Sand Dunes.


No comments: