Monday, April 12, 2010

Two Types Of Flour


These are two types of flour that I can get in the market. One is a local production, and another one imported. Both are fine for consumption, one is RMB 6, another one is RMB 33 per pack.

When I first came here, I tried one imported pack, which costed more than RMB 50, because I bought it from a shop that only sell goods to foreigners, called Jenny Lou's. You cannot imagine or believe, a pack of flour can cost you so much money. In Malaysia, the normal one, 1 kg is may be RMB 2 per pack, a better one might be RM 6-8 per pack, per kg?

And that is not the issue, the main point I want to highlight and which worries me, is the quality that comes with it. I read an article in a local ENglish Newspaper called CHina Daily, and it was highlighted that there were some producers in China, who were trying to make more profit by adding some chemicals or what I learned, pulverized lime (something derived from limestone), which should not be added at all, nor consumed by any of us. U see, it is dangerous...it can kill us.
So, I am not sure what to type of flour to use, as you do not know who or which mfrs will be using this chemical to be added inside the flour, as it will not be mentioned at all. Please bear in mind that this is different from the normal bleaching agent (even then, this is under controlled and mentioned). But the lime power is not suppose to be present or reported at all.
This worries me, as I can choose not to buy, but when I visit restaurants, I will never know what type of which supply source of Flour they got their supply from.

I can only be careful and take care of myself, within controllable parameters.....



Thanks.

Choong

No comments: