Monday, April 5, 2010

Japan-Now, My Motherland, and Europe

When I first started working in the mid nineties, I was always impressed with Japan, even until now, the feeling still amazing, everything that I go to Japan.
But somehow, with more working experience, seeing more things more on global basis, and understand more of Mgt, strategic plannings, new ideas, etc etc, I think Japan is somehow lacking behind in catching up. In very layman term, I think Japan still practices very old (though proven to be effective in the past and very efficient system) system, mgt, procedures, and though still useful, but I think if one does not innovate, change, improvised on the existing ones, to reflect the current global needs and future needs of the nation and the world, it will be left behind. Just feeling that Japan is getting 'older', just like a machine that needs to be change, where regular maintenance would not improve the efficiency better.
(When you arrive at Japanese main airports, and you can see that system remains intact for close to 20 years, and you compare that with Korea, you can see how much and dynamic Korea has changed. And how fast Samsung and LG is moving compared to the major brands in Japan....).
I hope Japan will be also to do that, because, that is one of the country I like and admired most. I hope it will not disappoint me.

Of course having said that, I know my own country is not doing well too, a new machine, without any maintenance, and without R&D that will bring it forward. It is like dying of young age, without knowing the actual disease.

Having said all too, I know Europe is having some problems, but honestly, I feel Europe will be better. Bringing all European countries together, with different background and interest could be difficult, but having visited Europe quite frequently, I think and believe it will move forward, in better and more organised manner, once the present issues are solved and I have confidence it will move forward, faster and well organised. I like how the take care of the environment, how they improve on human rights issues, and how some countries like Germany for example, come out with good quality products for export market. Too much to write here, but simply speaking, I have confidence in Europe and hence will continue investing in Euro:). Haha.


Choong, Beijing

No comments: