Friday, April 2, 2010

Being Malaysians

As this is the place where I write what I think and feel, I have to say something about this.
I feel a bit annoyed, being 100% Malaysian at heart, that our leaders subscribe to the idea that it is okay to be identified by race first. After all, I am not, and I find this a bit unacceptable and amusing to have it coming from top leaders of the country. To me it is a bit misleading.

I mean when we were at school, we sing our National song, we are proud to be learn and speak our National language, and everything about Malaysia. When we are out of the country, how many of us really say, I am Malay, or I am Chinese, or I am Indian. I, for one, will never do so. I always identified myself as Malaysian, and if further question is asked, they I will answer to them that my ancestors were from China, hence of my 'Chinese look" and cultural influence. I of course, am proud of my Chinese ancestry, but I never for once identified myself as a Chinese. And working in China now, I have also told the same, that I am Malaysian. And my overseas colleagues called us "Malay" too. They say, you are 'Malay', because we come from Malaysia

Back in Malaysia, in my circle of friends that I have, race issue has never been asked, because growing up in this environment, we know we are Malaysians at heart. I mean how many of us ask, "Hangpa Melayu kah", Lu Cina ke, or you India ke? Unless they are of mixed parentage, then our curiosity is there, and we would like to know more, or when it comes to our East Malaysian friends which we do not know much, we would like to know if they are Kadazans, or Ibans,....etc, but this is more of trying to understand them rather then bringing up the issue of race.
In Malaysia, we usually would say, I am Penangites, or I am from Penang, or orang utara, etc. You orang Kelantan ke? Orang Pahang.....something like this.
And we never asked if our Malays friends Melayu Tulen or Melayu campuran, did we?
We just accept each other as Malaysian, and that he is how I grow up with, believing in this concept, even when I started working, we have Malay colleagues, and we just do not talk about this, cause it is already known that they are of Malay origin, and I am of Chinese ancestry.
When we met customers, we do not say, I am Chinese, and he is a Malay. We are Malaysians, and belong to the same country, is this not the case?


And I always remember our state song which I still remember the lyrics until now and the Song that I can still sing until now, as our music teacher was very demanding, making sure each of us singing into the right tune,

Selamat Tuhan kurniakan,
Selamat Pulau Pinang,
Negeriku yang mulia,
Kutaat dan setia,
Aman dan bahagia,
Majulah jayalah,
Negeriku yang ku cinta,
Bersatu dan bersama,
Untuk negeri kita.

Choong, Beijing

1 comment:

Devil said...

In Malaysia we are so called "Pendatang"

In overseas countries where we work like hell to earn living, we are called "Malay"

IT'S DAMN PATHETIC!