Monday, April 12, 2010

Hakka Food In Mainland China-GuangZhou (上东村)

Simply fried vegetable, only with oil and salt. We have
this form of dish, but later, we added small prawns, to make
it tastier.

Pork fried in sauce, and peanuts. Simple and nice
A form of baijiu, which they have added some seeds, I will find out
the name later.
toufu (豆腐), stuffed with minced meet, and with spring onions,
cooked in soup. This is exactly what I have taken when I a boy
back in Malaysia. Yummy, I like this a lot.
Also, this, the fermented soya bean (dark colored, like daoxi, doushi)
tasted yummy, not of the pork but more of the sauce that came out from there.

The place where the restaurant is located


I was in GZ, if you read my article last week about my Leg, My Foot, I mentioned that I walked quite a distance, even for my dinner. One of the places I went to, is for this Hakka food. It is near Guangzhou city, near a hamlet or Village or Kampung in our own term lah.....
The feeling is very good, having the chance to take Hakka food in China, in GZ, where, as I understood, our ancestors came from GZ or nearby area (one of these ways, I will try to visit the place where my ancestors came from), just to satisfy my curiosity.
Hakka food is basically very simple, minimal ingredients will be added, and lots of meat. I am not sure why, perhaps Hakka were hippies before, hence we take whatever we can find, and meat is preferred as it is a source of protein, or may be they hunt and eat whatever they can get hold of.
But our cooking is simple, because we are used to eating natural taste, and moving around (lie hippies) you hardly have any herbs or other ingredients to add into the food.

In Malaysia, as you live in other environment, and herbs, seafood and other ingredients are easily available, hence we modified the taste. Like for example, we might add in some spices or we might add some Chili to have more local flavor or taste and also because of the weather, hence we modify a bit of the recipe, to have a better taste.

Though I was in deep pain, I am still glad to be able to make it here. The feeling is nostalgic, hard to describe by any forms of wordings. You just feel good..............


Choong, Beijing

1 comment:

Devil said...

Hmm.. what an coincidence! I spent my last weekend in a small Hakka town in Mioli County ( which is the major Hakka area in Taiwan). They have quite different speaking accent and unique cultures comparing to Malaysian Hakka people like myself.