Thursday, December 23, 2010

London Trip-Air China and China Airlines

First, between Air China and China Airlines

The similarity between these two airlines companies, it the key word China, other than that, probably they are world apart in terms of service I suppose and this is the second time I write about Air China.
I was booked for a flight to London on the 19th of December, that was on Sunday, with Air China and the flight was CA 937. We have for sure departed, and was somewhere near Southern part of Russian (about 3.5 hours away from Beijing, the departure point) and was informed by the captain that there was a heavy snow storm in London Heathrow airport, and the airport is closed for the whole day, which means, as he said, we were left with a few choices. One was to stop at Stockholm, another one was in a location I have forgotten for now, and the final one was to turn back and return to Beijing. And then, immediately, without any further briefing, we were heading back home to Beijing. Once arrived, the announcement made was that this flight, on 19th, CA 937 was cancelled, and we were asked to go to carousel 41 to claim our luggage, and counter F34, to rearrange our ticket. There was one airport staff taking us to the immigration to have our immigration record cancelled for that particular trip.
And then, one our ticket was rebooked, meaning to say, it was booked on 20th December, and I was referred back to the duty manager counter, and they lady staff, when asked about the flight, told to me call back and check if Air China will fly the next day. I was very furious, and told her off, that this is not a proper service. Instead they should call us back and inform if the flight will be leaving as schedule, as I do not know whether Air China decides to fly or not. That is part 1 of the story, and remember, Air China is supposedly be part of Star Alliances group (and that is one core reason why I have been using them for this trip, nothing else). I managed to contact my driver to pick me up, as Air China just as usual would not even care to arrange further for affected customers. I think this is their duty to do so, whether it is weather or whatever reasons they are, as I have a contract with Air China, that is my ticket and traveling schedule, and they have the obligation to find some solution for me, as their customer. And later, I heard some passengers argued with the duty manager, and asked him to arrange accommodation and transportation for at least the nite for them, and I was told the food they arranged at the hotel was very much different from what was served at the restaurant for normal hotel guests. Which means two types of breakfast. One passenger that I met the following day told me, she did not understand why Air China behaved that way:). I remember when I was traveling with Thai Airways last year, and one flight from BKK to Penang was cancelled. Immediately the ground staff arranged for transportation, airport hotel, and briefed us what was to take place. And the next morning, when I was to re-check in, my boarding pass was all printed and ready. That is what I called proper and professional service. That is also what I know about Star Alliance..

And going back to China Airlines, which is a Taiwanese based, my friend from Taipei departed around 9.30am, which means he was about at the same location as I was, but the captain I suppose proceeded with the flight. And finally he landed but for sure, not at Heathrow as it was closed for in coming flights then. They went to Vienna airport instead., and the hotel they were booked at were Hilton. Breakfast and all meals are included. And as per my last chat with him last nite, the flight cannot come to Heathrow as yet, and he will fly in on Tuesday and which means another nite of accommodation for him at Hilton Vienna. Imagine and see the difference?

I would not say much, but you can judge, but I am frustrated and wordless with this poor service attitude of Air China and their “bullying’ style. If given an option, I would never use Air China or put in different wordings, how I wish they are not part of Star Alliance group.

Choong

No comments: