Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Girls Getting Married At 14

Recently, if you were to flip through all news-be it on the papers, or from websites, you can see many articles written on this subject.
The question I have in my mind is that, if there were to happen to my nieces, how would I feel. I cannot accept this, really, for whatever reason you may call.
I mean I cannot imagine Natasha getting married at 14
I cannot accept Kate Monee getting married at 14
I will feel awful if Kate, later, were to be allowed by sis Joyce to get married at 14..can you? And if it were me, I do not know what would happen?
That we are talking about nieces. I cannot also accept for all my sisters, my brothers, my nephew, cousins.

I remember a cousin got married at 17 years of age, about 30 years ago, and her parents, my aunt and uncle have to sign on the application form (where I helped her to fill), and I felt dreadfully awful. Though she is a grandmother now and the husband treated her well, but I know she did not have the life she is suppose to have, and sometimes, her face tells that. A lost teenager life....if you may allow me to use that term.


At 14?
i) The body is not even mature as yet, let alone talking about sex?
ii) They do not even know how to take care of themselves as yet, let alone taking care of a husband?
iii) Have they had or enjoy part of their teenager lives, like going out with friends, chatting, shopping, having a life as a teenager?
iv) Education, at 14? how can they handle that? imagine if she got pregnant, with morning sickness, and all those family stuffs? And then she has to stop schooling, and then what will happen? Illiteracy rate among women will be on the rise.
v) Do we only want all these girls to be like 'slaves' to men?
vi) Why men would want to get married with a girl at 14? Because they are virgins? young? easy to control? healthy? easy to manipulate?
vii) can parents allow their daughters to go through this, after all, they have to give their signatories before official marriage is possible for those below 18?
viii) Are they able to guide their children, when they come along? Who will teach, guide their children? What will become of the next generation that comes along?

As I think of this, I cannot write anymore. I have butterflies in my stomach and I am about to vomit, really, it makes me feel awful.
Thanks goodness, my nieces all are not to be affected by this so far, or at least I would have a say in this, though not a final decision maker. I would not allow this to happen to those family members that I know of, and within power to do so.

choong
Busan

No comments: