Thursday, December 23, 2010

London-Part 1-London Airport



Finally, arrived to the land called Britain and a country who used to colonise Malaysia before. And a place I always wanted to come and visiting, if you some of you remembered well, we sang this song before, “London bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down…. And this is a MUST visit place for me, at least for this trip. Of course you have other places to go to, but London bridge, I must go there for sure…..

It is an eye opening when I came to to immigration counter, Britain from my memory or from books I read should be mostly whites, but it is totally different scenery, very much different from my imagination. At the immigration counters, you have officers of different origins, Indians, whites, African, and may be more. It is so much of fun to see that. And I think Malaysia has to learn from this, the former colony master. And in the evening when I walked around, I see a mixture of different races in the city.
Back to airport issue, I think London airport is a little bit messy for a developed country like England. Anyway, too early to comment on this, but I think the immigration counter is no where near to that of Singapore or even of Malaysia’s. Probably because the airport just opened up for in coming flights after the heavy snow storm, or hence too many passengers for them to handle at a time.

You need to walk a long distance to reach the immigration counter, and again, another distance to claim your luggage and again, another distance, before you can take your train, the Heathrow Express, for my case, it was to Paddiington Station. And lucky me, if was a free ride on that evening, not sure what reason was that. And finding my hotel is a slight problem, esp. when you go to a new place, and in the middle of winter months….But as usual, I found my way. And lucky us Malaysian, we speak rather good English, don't we? At least I am proud of my language capability, haha.
That’s is for now.

Choong
Hotel 5.50am (20th December 2010), jetlag still.

No comments: