Monday, April 15, 2019

My Trip to Northern Thailand-March/April 2019-Day 2

Day 2 was suppose to be a very busy day, have been invited by Professor Pidi to attend a lecture on study conducted to the local migrants from Shan State. We went to a lecture hall, and it is suppose to be like until 2.30PM for the full presentation.
The lecture was an eye opening for me, as most of the students can speak English very well when I approached them, and now what they want to be after graduation. And it also allows me to understand more about the Shan migrants to Chiangmai area, their culture and social behavior which is totally another topic altogether, but this trip with the guidance by professor Pidi really exposed me to different kind of traveling. First time to experience kind of education related traveling.


after breakfast while waiting for Professor Pidi

Fruits from Professor Pidi's garden.
The lecture hall

Padthai for lunch at CMU's canteen

The coffee house at their library

A true coffee

Tea time snack

Fruits after lunch


Lecture with Professor Pidi with some of his students

After the lecture ended, I went out for a walk on my own, at their famous lake and then the coffee house opposite the lake. Almost the whole area are taken up by Chinese tourists, and they even have the buggy specially to take tourists into this area for visit and photography session.

Famous cafe opposite the lake in CMU

The lake, and please take note of the hazy skyline

Me, in front of the cafe, but I didn't order anything.


CMU compound

CMU compound, the famous roundabout


A picture to remember my visit to CMU

Then right after that, I went back to Shane hotel for a rest and planned out my trip to the old city, by walking. After checking google map, and finding the location, and subscribing to my mobile data, I went to the old city for a walk. I think the distance was about 4KM from my hotel, and on that day, I think I walked around 20KM in total.
Wat in the Old city of Chiangmai, almost sunset, hence was considered very lucky


Interesting message in the temple


Market on the way back to hotel

50 Baht, and one of the best mango sticky rice I have taken during my trip to Chiangmai


drank this, as the night after walking back from the old city was so hot, so thirsty, hence this can of beer was very helpful and from 7eleven, it costs only 38Baht.

The half day walking trip around the city was quite a good experience for me, to know a little more about Chiangmai. And a few observation here:
1) Many Chinese tourists around
2) very hot
3) very hazy
4) Many vehicles
5) Food in old city or touristy areas are more expensive
6) English is widely spoken
7) There is a difference felt when compared with THai in Bangkok and Hatyai.
8) Food is a bit sweeter...though I could not confirmed 100% on this day...

Choong
29 March 2019-Day 2

No comments: