Monday, April 15, 2019

My Trip To Northern Thailand-March/April 2019-Day 1

This trip was not planned to be in March but after deep discussion with Professor Pidi, hence the decision to go there after, and the search for ticket begins, with Air Asia as they have direct flight from Kuala Lumpur to Chiangmai. 
For a start, I didn't know that there was a serious haze problem in Chiangmai until a Thai lady that I met at the departure hall told me so. And this is usually the season where open burning takes place, but what options do I have. Hence, please take note it is advisable not to visit during this period of time, and also this is the beginning of the super hot season in Chiangmai.
Upon arrival, you can still see a little bit of blue sky, and API was showing around 170, hence still not critical. 
One thing I observed upon arrival is the number of tourists from China. I didnt know that Chiangmai is so popular with Chinese tourists until my arrival. Even though now is very hot and not the peak season, you will be shocked to see the numbers of tourists arriving and waiting for Visa on Arrival.





Chinese tourists at Immigration hall.





Upon arrival, I was already picked up by Professor Pidi and then he sent me to my hotel, Shane Hotel next to Chiang Mai university, before going to a Wat (temple) nearby to see the rehearsal for an event to be conducted on 30th March...and I learned later, these novices actually are migrants from Shan State in Myanmar. And becoming a monk for a period of time in the temple is something their family wanted as it is a kind of blessing and good omen for the family, if their boys become novices.
After spending some hours here, and some detailed explanation by Professor Pidi, we went for a simple meal at a local restaurant before he sent me back to my hotel.
The novices gathered for a group picture.

                                         Local delicacy for afternoon tea
Local delicacy for afternoon tea

                                                      Local delicacy for afternoon tea
Chiangmai strawberry, and this costs about 80 bhat per pack.



Choong SH
On 28th March 2019

No comments: