Tuesday, April 16, 2019

MY Trip To North Thailand-March/April 2019 Day 3


on the 3rd day, still in Chiangmai city, and first activity is at the temple or wat, where they were holding the ceremony for the for the Shan Tribe (Thai Yai) the novices to be were dressed beautifully and all getting ready for the event. It was a yearly event as I was informed by Professor Pidi, and family will usually spend their savings for this event, on their son or sons....to them it is worth everything. Each of the novice family has their own camp or designated areas (denoted by numbers) and they will cook, and live here throughout this event, possibly, 3-4 days altogether. 

 Me, getting ready for Professor Pidi to fetch me to the wat for the event
Event-The novices

 The crowd in the temple
Public donations

In between breaks, we went for some local delicacies- local cakes, very tasty


                                         The event-ladies in traditional costumes
Right after that event, which is around noon time, then we left, for our lunch. Professor Pidi brought me to a restaurant that is very good with their som tam (papaya salad) in different preparations. I only for the dried shrimp type of som tam with reduced chili, I cannot take other types as it was too spicy for me. Price is quite reasonable as it was frequented by locals more than tourists and a bit far away from city centre. One funny thing happen, we saw a lady who put up some cosmetics in a way we do not understand or had not seen before.....very weird, but somehow, Professor Pidi found out later that it was a kind of trendy and fashionable. Didn't manage to take a picture of her, as I think it could be quite rude to do so.

I like this sticky rice for lunch and finished all.

Salad-Sour type





After lunch, Professor Pidi (PP) was kind enough to drive me to a place that sells Celadon, that is known as Baan Celadon. Quality is quite good, but I think the price is on the higher side compared to what I have bought in Lamphang many years back. Here, they have both the prime grade and second grade and the price difference between the two is quite huge. And after Baan Celadon, we went to another place, where Chiangmai Celadon is located, Doi Saket.









In between the Celadon factory visits, we went to two places, or stop by at two places which again seems to be interesting for me.

i) Cafe alongside a main road to Doi Saket (where you have the town famous for making its umbrella. This cafe we stopped by to have coffee, and since I am not a fan of coffee, I asked for tea latte, and the guy didnt understand what I wanted. I wanted milk tea, but to them when you say Latte, it means coffee. Hence what he did was to prepare for me, tea mixed with coffee, and without the milk....and when they presented it to me, I was a bit shocked, but then PP explained it to me, and it is also a learning curve for me. Then I asked the barrister to provide me with some fresh milk and I made my own milk tea then.
The cafe we stopped by on the way to Chiangmai Celadon




The tea latter meant for me (tea mixed with coffee)




Resting at a cosy place of the cafe, on top of a wooden house...
I asked PP how much can they make from the cafe like this, and he says not that much and if they can get 10 customers per day, it is considered good, but since the expenses is low, it should not pose any problem for the owner. It is more like a kind of hobby and to pass their time, earning some pocket money....

The name of the cafe, Lhong Kao...if you are passing by, please feel free to drop by for a cup of coffee or Tea Latte. Enjoy



The next place we went to, is a friend of PP, and his name is Punza Noja, and he has a farm stay at Doi Saket, of which I shall share the details later.







Choong
16 April 2019

No comments: