Saturday, August 14, 2010

After Lung and Lymph nodes operation- Day 10

hihi, short update from me. In S\pore airport now.
Arrived Thursday morning, visited uncle at Adventist, then went for breakfast. Then, m managed to meet the Doctor to understand more. Arrh, too many things to write, but I am running short of the time to write here.
Though my visit was a short one, and expensive trip too, considering the air-ticket alone cost me more that RM 3500, but I am glad I made it.

1) I think the support of family members, in terms of their ability to play their roles well are important, in balancing up the roles to be played, and responsibilities. Otherwise it would not be easy. For my uncles' family, I think only my cousin sis, Ailing is playing more roles than others, and she is facing more pressure that other siblings of hers. I analysed this and told the other family members too.
I can recall how it was with my dad, both sis and myself were doing practically alone,and when sis was resting, I did it at home alone, though small uncle sometime came and offered assistance. I am glad for that, and that was one reason I was back home repaying the good deeds done.
I remember, the whole week I was there, I did from morning to evening, taking care of dad, and then because of internet issue, was out of home, rushing to Mary's place, then back home again, made sure dad went to bed with full stomach before sleeping, all alone. Nobody offered any help back then. But having learned the lesson, and with Buddha's guidance, I am doing what I could to relieve the burden of others, within my own means.

The siblings all my share the responsibilities, to support each other well, so that my uncle's needs would be well supported, and they do not feel that pressure that much, working together as an entity. This will help to lighten the burden.

2) I think the skills of caring for my uncle, from the family members are still very much lacking in expression. My cousins are all saying, 'my dad would not listen to this and that, but I said, being the children, can we also find ways to persuade him, like what he did when they were young, persuading them, convincing them to take their food, medicine, etc etc. So, I asked them to consider this aspect well.
The skill of asking and following up with Doctors and others, like nurses and secretaries in the hospital is still lacking. This I think needs effort and skills.

3) My uncle himself is having some difficulty, emotionally and physically to get himself well soon. He needs motivation I think.
The Surgeon says he is very negative and I think he becomes too easily agitated and not stable himself. I am fully aware, he is suffering a lot now, but that is part and parcel of this, though as I understood, he was not well informed and prepared for the unexpected outcome of this operation, such as now, he is not being able to breathe as normal as he expects it to be (though as I understood, this needs training).

The problem as I see it is (from the discussion with nurses and the Surgeon and also with Dr. Kevin in Taipei).
i) He is not being able to breathe well as yet. Oxygen dependent is still at 6 level, which as I understood is still not good enough. 2-3 would be more ideal.\
Hence, he still has this ventilation tube inserted through the mouth for better breathing. The nurse told me, they tried to reduce the dosage of oxygen supply to 5 level, but the oxygen content in the blood is not sufficient, and my uncle seems to be too tired with the breathing process.
ii) They now, have taken out paralyzing agent and only remaining part is the sedation, but seems like he becomes too emotional and excited and restless most of the times. Hence, they have to increase back the dosage of sedative.
iii) Understood his good lung, the left hand side, is expanding in capacity but he is still not breathing as normal as it should be.
iv) The operated part is recovering well, and clear of infection and cancerous cells are fully taken and cleared out.
v) That there might a need to go for tracheotomy (that means by opening up a hole, or opening an outlet for inhalation and exhalation to improve the breathing situation better. Doctor says it will be a few more days before this is possible. Kevin says this would not be done immediately. But I think, as I said, there is the factor of my uncle condition is being considered (by having tracheotomy will help him to improve his breathing further, thus having enough oxygen content to the blood system. The other aspect is the escalating ICU and treatment cost, which is jumping like nobody business. I think the Surgeon is trying to find the best alternative solve this problem without creating further problems to the family members of my uncle in terms of their worries and burden, and also solving the breathing issue and emotional aspect of my uncle for now.

I have also asked my AIling to contact Tzuchi centre to get some aid, in terms of providing counseling to uncle to cool and calm him down, and to support him emotionally more( thus helping him to breathe better, and on the road to recovery).
Secondly, possibly of guiding them (my cousins) to find better support financially and assistance for this NGO/charitable foundation. Ms. Ong SG, my ex-colleague is willing to fetch Ailing to Tzuchi, providing a form of emotional support to her.
I told sis that I felt bad that I could stay longer to help out as I need to go back to Beijing for now. She consoles me, saying I did my best, and we did support quite a lot so far. I think within these few days, I have also done my part and contributed, direct and indirectly quite a lot too.

Anyway, I will not talk too much here, as I am tired now.
But I will meditate and do more chanting, to help to transfer some good merits to uncle, hopefully to let him calm down more in order to recover faster. for other friends, relatives and readers, irrespective of your religion background, to help to pray or transfer merits to my uncle, to speed up his recovery chances, his name is Mr. Choong Foh Min.

Choong, S'pore airport

v)

1 comment:

PohJen said...

Fren, Please have good rest.....n I will pray for your uncle's fast recovery