Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Myanmar Trip-Mid March 2014

I wanted to write a summary of this trip, but simply has been delaying this, one day after another, which is bad, haha.

But I think I out to write something.
It was nice to be back to Yangon, after a lapse or 6-7 years since my last trip there. Many changes taking place, for a start, now they have a better tarred roads, many cars (they have traffic jams, sky are not as blue as before, more new restaurants mushrooming, and things are getting more expensive. Taking a taxi from the airport to city centre now cost about USD 8 per single trip.
Mobile SIM cards can be bought at airport, and cost more than USD 25 which to me is rather expensive.
People are still very nice in Yangon, but I think, in my opinion, has slowly gone more materialistic. I guess no body can ever run away from the trap of wanting more, materially. I hope I will be able to see very innocent, very down to earth, very nice  Burmese still, 10 years down the road. I hope to see this, really, that development does not change them much.....only my personal wish.
The good thing was meting old friends in Yangon, and spending sometime hear going around with Htwe-htwe and Judy was good, as we talked about a lot of topics from the past.....we good reminiscing as you are getting older, and our next plans...,may be together....haha.

And I am most happy when I was in Mandalay for the first time, meeting Thiha as my tour guide, a young chap just over 22 years old, and also meeting That Jhi was very nice experience, esp the latter. even though first time meeting him, he invited me for lunch and bring me to his friend's place, who makes jade jewelleries, and I really appreciate his kindness (note.--he is of course financially quite rich to afford, but this is not the key issue, I think important is, his courtesy and friendship. He even offered to send me to the airport in the morning, though I have already arranged an airport transfer.
And I really like Myanmar, or Mandalay, they are really safe in the sense that you do not feel like someone is following you, no one is snatching your bags or wallets, and it is safe to be around. And when the younger friends greet you, they address you as "brother". which is very nice. I really hope to go back, may be for a longer term, and if there is something nice there, for me to work or having a biz joint venture, I am willing. At least for a few years, I do not mind. It is like going back to your childhood, where everyone will treat everyone well, and you do not need to worry about your neighbourhood, worry about safety, and food is still good.....I wish.

Thank you Myanmar for giving me this feeling, for making my short-trip so meaningful.

Choong
BM




                                         The famous teak wood bridge




No comments: