Tuesday, April 1, 2014

English and in General

This morning, I was informed by an acquaintance that his probation has been extended, reasons are:
1) His product knowledge is quite limited for the banking industry he is in... this he can attend further courses to improve himself.
2) His communication skills are lacking, and this was partly because of his poor command of English language.....

Here you are....For our generation, our English has already dropped to quite a low level compared to those who studied in full English medium schools, and I was quite lucky that for my tertiary education, I went to TAR University college (at that time only TAR college), and we use fully English medium for all our lectures and assignments. Sometimes, there is always a reason for things taking place or happening (Anyway, this is not the key point now, but the command of English language our younger generations are having). I have highlighted a few times, in general, most cannot speak good English, some use a mixture of 3 languages to communicate, Malay, Chinese and English, or two languages, sometime, a mixture of Malay and English. This is quite worrying I think.
When I was in overseas attending exhibition or seminars, Malaysians in the early 20s, when they speak English or communicate in this language, you will have a problem to understand them, if you are a foreigner , not unless you understand their background, and what how they think, and you interpret in that manner. Like 15 years ago, when I was travelling to Japan for biz, I often need to translate their Japanese English to other friends, because Japanese will first, translate, in their mind, from Japanese to English and this will be reflected in their spoken English.

I am not sure, but for me, though it is not easy and I do speak more than 3 languages, esp when I was in Beijing, to use 100% Mandarin was very hard for me, because my vocabulary was limited and I have to be persistent, not to mix with English language in my conversation, and I have managed to overcome that. I think learning language, besides having a bit of talent, you must be very persistent.

Last month when I was in New Zealand, local friend's aunt, who speak quite close to Queen's English has complimented my English, saying she was surprise I speak without "lah" or very much like SEA ways and my diction was very clear, huhuh......I think my persistency in using proper language (though I cannot say I speak very perfect English), but at least I think I am better compared to most people, simply because I am persistent in using the right way of speaking English from day one. And English is not my first language, and to speak it well is not easy.

And with the younger generations, those born after 85s. I think they will use 3 languages when they speak, if they are of Chinese origin, and you will be a confused lot if you do not really listen to what they are saying, or writing. And they cannot write or explain themselves well, using only one language.
Many people say mother tongue language is important, yes I do agree, as it is helpful as a 3rd language, but look at what we are having know. If this so called Chinese educated (I am not sure about those from Tamil school and when they go to India), and if they were to go to China (esp Northern China), I think that is when the challenge comes, and I think most of them cannot speak Mandarin well.
Hence, I think Sporean school model, where your 1st language  in school is English, and at the same time, you learn your mother tongue, and you can pick up a 3rd language in my opinion, is quite a good model to use.
Malaysia may consider to use this, Malay and English as compulsory subjects, and learning a 3rd language in school, be it Mandarin, German, Tamil, etc etc......

Just a point to ponder, otherwise, I think we will be getting worse, and going no where esp, if we were to  become a developed country, esp for us, where we are very much dependent on international biz relationship more than others.

I hope this acquaintance will pick up and improve his English language skills as soon as possible.

Choong
BM
1 Apr 2014

No comments: