Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Istanbul, Day 5 and 6-Final Day

Yesterday, I was not feeling very well, perhaps a cold (wearing too thin on one day earlier), hence was not in the mood to write. Did a few things. First, tool a tunnel (subway) to the infamous square, Taksim, and found it quite nice. But the main purpose was to get my Airline ticket reconfirm and re-validate, as I wanted to leave one day earlier than my original schedule. I think I have had enough of Istanbul, and nothing more else that I want to see (or I should say I have walked enough, more than 40KM all together combined I think).
Looking for Turkish air was a big problem, I was directed to many different directions. Oh yeah, before that, I went to a Tourism centre at Sultanahmed, as the lady sitting there, as usual, like all government officers (you see that in Malaysia I guess) were not being helpful, too cold if I could use the words. She pointed me to a agency office of THY and why I was there, the guy said, yes there were the agent, and I said agent is different from real Turkish airlines office, so another experience here. Then I went back to the same tourism office, and the lady said, oh really, I thought u want to buy a ticket. I said no. And then she asked me to move to Taksim. Meanwhile, my secretary in China is also waiting to support on this matter, but I thought of going to the local office, it would be better and easier to handle. Luckily, I still some good local Turkish and being helpful they gave me the direction. First, a student using the tunnel, then the boss of a Turcell company I think, then the lady boss of a cafe (the most accurate information I think). I find some Turkish are very cold towards foreigners (esp. those working in office, but I always remember the 2 ladies and I guy I met at the jetty point to Asia part, they are so nice and so helpful).

The Turkish Airlines Office, next to Mcdonald's outlet, in Taksim square area, roundabout,3 o'clock direction coming from Taksim shopping main district.

After that, I went to their post office, quite crowded, luckily, I took my queue number, and I felt something was wrong, so I took out my postcard, and finally a Turkish guy told me for sending postcard, I do not need to wait and direct me to another counter. I appreciate his assistance, though the lady sitting besides me were very quite. I am not sure, may be they do not speak good English, but still i think sometimes, body language is good enough. Anyway, finally, I managed to send the card out, hopefully Joyce would be able to receive it.


The post office


Taksim Square, you can see how busy it is. And I was given the wrong direction, and was running around, NSEW, in different directions, in order to go to THY on time. Finally, I did manage it, as I said.

Then I came back to the hotel room for a nap, about 1 hour in total as I was not feeling very good. But now it is recovering and I am getting better.

Then, I was having my leisure walk, all around, including the herbs market (Mecir market) and also some local, open shopping areas.

And after that, in evening I walked back to Taksim square, because I saw a restaurant there, offering nice pasta, managed to reach there but the restaurant was in a full house, hence I left the place first, went for one ice-cream, and then came back, I managed to get a seat. Hence, a good, warm meal, with lemon tea. A nice meal indeed.

The Ice-cream I had, one scoop, raspberry I think. TL 4 per scoop.


Nite time and Taksim main street

Herbs, tea, dried fruits at the herbs and spices market


The Market

Today, I do not think I will update more as I will leave tonite, and will check-out from the hotel around 12noon. I am looking forward to leave Istanbul, honestly speaking:), I do not know, it does not give me the feeling I want as a tourist and visitor. May be my first two days experience was not that good. Anyway, I still thank Istanbul for letting me having the chance to see it as it is, and it is an eye opening and learning experience for me. Thanks Istanbul, and thanks to Turkey.

Choong
Istanbul

No comments: