Thursday, August 28, 2014

Coconut Bread




Today, was thinking of the ya chai boa, coconut bread that we used to eat in our younger days. Usually we bought this from our Indian Roti Vendor and it taste so delicious, but nowadays, I am not sure if we still have them. I guess it is hard to find. I cannot make exactly the same. what I did was, i copy the Hokkaido bread recipe, as I have tried this bread before and I think the texture is good for my coconut bread, hence I used it here. The recipe is as appended below, and I got it from Christine's Recipes. Very good and easy to manage, but I would like to reduce the salt content, as I think it is a bit salty for me.
  • 540 gm bread flour (don't add all, esp if you do not have a bread maker and have to make the dough manually)
  • 86 gm caster sugar
  • 8 gm salt ( I think 6 gm is enough for me)
  • 9 gm full cream milk powder(original recipe calls for a kind of natural milk essence,
  • 11 gm instant dried yeast
  • 86 gm whisked egg
  • 59 gm whipping cream
  • 54 gm milk
  • 184 gm tangzhong (50gm bread powder, 250ml water, heat)
  • 49 gm unsalted butter, melted


  • Add all ingredients (except butter) into a breadmaker, first the wet ingredients (milk, cream, egg, tangzhong), then followed by the dry ingredients (salt, sugar, milk powder, bread flour, yeast). (Note: I used to make a small well in the bread flour, then add the yeast into it.) Select the “dough” mode (refer to the menu of your breadmaker to select the kneading dough programme). When all ingredients come together, pour in the melted butter, continue kneading until the dough is smooth and elastic. The time of kneading in the breadmaker is about 30 minutes. Then let the dough complete the 1st round of proofing, about 40 minutes, best temperature for proofing is 28C, humidity 75%, until double in size.
  • Transfer the dough to a clean floured surface. Deflate and divide into 3 equal portions (see picture 1). Cover with cling wrap, let rest for 15 minutes at room temperature.
  • Roll out each portion of the dough with a rolling pin into an oval shape (See picture 2). Fold 1/3 from top edge to the middle and press (see picture 3). Then fold 1/3 from bottom to the middle and press (see picture 4). Turn seal downward. Roll flat and stretch to about 30cm in length (see picture 5). With seal upward, roll into a cylinder (see picture 6). With seal facing down (see picture 7), place in the loaf tins to have the 2nd round of proofing (see picture 8), until double in size. The best temperature for 2nd round proofing is 38C, humidity 85%.
  • Brush whisked egg on surface. Bake in a pre-heated 180C (356F) oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until turns brown. Remove from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack. Let cool completely. For this part, I think from my own experience, you have to make sure that the egg is well whisked before you brush it on the surface of the fully risen dough, If too thick, it will turn to dark brown too fast, and the colour does not look fresh or attractive.

  • For my coconut:

    • 200gm of freshly grated coconut
    • 1 pc of Gula Melaka (about 200gm, but it depends on your personal choice)
    • Mix and stir over small flame with panda leaves
    • Let it cool and use when the dough it ready
    And I am happy, it turned out to be quite good. My cousin sis, Mary said it was good. I also sent a few to Sunny but haven't got his comment. And I have tried one on my own, and I am very satisfied. The bread texture is so good.

    Choong
    BM

    No comments: